MEGHAN Markle and Prince Harry "provoked the royals" but the Queen "didn't want to be dragged down the rabbit hole", palace sources have claimed.

Senior royal aides reportedly refused to get embroiled in a public war of words, despite Meghan and Harry's "provocative" public interviews this year.

The claims come as the Royal Family have lawyers braced to launch action against the BBC over a shock documentary being shown tonight.

It is feared the programme could allege warring siblings William and Harry instructed courtiers to plant smears against each other in the press.

However, while the Duke and Duchess of Sussex allegedly "provoked" the royals after they sat down with Oprah Winfrey for an explosive interview in March, insiders have rubbished claims William and Harry's advisers went to war during Megxit.

One source told the Daily Mail: "It was always very clear from the top that no one wanted to be dragged down that particular rabbit hole, however egregiously people were being provoked by the Sussexes.

"The palace mantra was that a period of silence would be beneficial to take the toxicity out of the situation, with the Queen going so far as to issue a personal statement making clear that there were matters they needed to deal with privately as a family."

The Queen has joined with Princes Charles and William to warn the Beeb they could end all co-operation with it after the Corporation refused to show the Royal Family the two-part documentary — called The Princes and The Press — despite requests.

They are set to collectively complain to regulator Ofcom — for what is believed to be the first time.

The broadcaster is also said to have failed to give the royals right to reply.

Senior palace sources say there could be a boycott of the national broadcaster imposed by the Queen, Charles and William if the claims are not removed.

The BBC2 programme is fronted by anti-monarchist presenter Amol Rajan, 38.

The Sun understands that senior royals placed lawyers on alert last night.

A senior royal source said: “Nothing is ruled out.”

Last week The Sun on Sunday revealed senior royals were advised they could sue Netflix over their portrayal in The Crown.

Spokesmen for the Queen, Charles, and William, did not want to comment.

The BBC said: “The programme is about how royal journalism is done and features a range of journalists.”

TV insiders said BBC guidelines require news and current affairs documentaries to offer rights of reply as appropriate.

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?

Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4104. You can WhatsApp us on 07423 720 250. We pay for videos too.

Click here to upload yours.

Click here to get The Sun newspaper delivered for FREE for the next six weeks.

    Source: Read Full Article