How takeaway addict, 33, lost six kilos fast – and the diet approach that keeps her lean all year round
- Divya Rallabhandi followed Sydney personal trainer Rachael Attard’s program
- Ditched pizzas and beer for healthy meals laden with veg and complex carbs
- Follows the 80/20 approach to diet to ensure she still eats what she loves
A woman who used to eat takeaway pizza and beers has revealed how she dropped nearly six kilograms in months by following a top personal trainer’s guide.
Divya Rallabhandi, 33, from the US, wasn’t overweight at 60 kilos when she begun Sydney trainer Rachael Attard’s Lean Legs program, but she carried excess weight around her midsection that had come about as a result of her takeaway lifestyle.
Just months later, Divya managed to ditch the excess fat and lean out her midsection, and she now weighs 54.4 kilograms.
The 33-year-old explained that she swears by the 80/20 approach to her diet, whereby she eats healthily 80 per cent of the time and allows herself a little of what she loves the remaining 20 per cent.
BEFORE AND AFTER: A woman who used to eat takeaway pizza and beers revealed how she dropped nearly 6kg by following a top PT’s guide (Divya Rallabhandi pictured before and after)
According to Divya, while she was never particularly unhealthy, she did have a few bad food habits:
‘I used to indulge in unhealthy foods like beer and pizza too often,’ Divya told FEMAIL.
‘These were the first things to go. Now I only have them occasionally, once every two months or so – and I don’t even crave them anymore.’
The 33-year-old replaced her stodgy alcohol and carbs with foods like dahl, fruits, nuts and plenty of vegetables.
A typical day on her plate now includes a breakfast of two slices of toast with either butter, cream cheese, Nutella and banana or egg, and a lunch of half a cup of dahl with vegetables and a piece of chocolate.
‘My evening snacks is fruit, nuts or sometimes a handful of chips,’ Divya said.
‘While dinner is Indian wheat bread called roti with either veggies or cottage cheese.’
The 33-year-old explained that she swears by the 80/20 approach to her diet, whereby she eats healthily 80 per cent of the time and allows herself a little of what she loves the remaining 20 per cent (Divya pictured now)
Alongside her new healthy diet, Divya said she works out five days a week – which includes 45 minutes of low intensity cardio like walking and then some weight training.
‘I train my upper body three days a week following the videos on Rachael’s program, and then do abs and lower body on the other days,’ she said.
‘The most important thing I think is to be consistent and find a program that you actually enjoy doing.’
Divya said she also makes sure to push herself every now and then with her workouts, so that she is ‘constantly growing’.
‘I have learned through doing all of this that crash diets are not good either,’ she said.
‘You need to eat in moderation and find a meal plan that is sustainable in the long term. Eating 1-2 cheat meals a week when you’re working out regularly is no reason to feel guilty.’
The Sydney personal trainer Rachael Attard (pictured) is responsible for transforming the bodies of thousands around the world with her program
One of Rachael’s top tips is that you should walk and aim for 10,000 steps every single day (Rachael Attard pictured)
Divya isn’t the only fan of the Rachael Attard workout program.
The Sydney personal trainer is responsible for transforming the bodies of thousands around the world with her program.
One of Rachael’s top tips is that you should walk and aim for 10,000 steps every single day.
‘I advise my clients to walk minimum three times per week and aim for 10,000 steps each time,’ Rachael said.
‘I know it seems like a lot, but you don’t have to do it all at once. You can split that step count throughout the entire day.’
The PT recommends you lessen activities like cycling, sprinting or running on an incline, as these can make your thigh muscles bigger in the long run.
She also tries to get between 8,000 and 10,000 steps every single day in order to stay in shape.
What does your body type say about how you should train?
Ectomorphs are usually naturally slim (like Victoria’s Secret models) and they find it difficult to build muscle.
If you are an ectomorph body type, you probably already have naturally thinner legs. So, your goal here is to maintain (or perhaps lose a bit of stubborn lower body fat) while building lean muscle.
This way your leg will get tone and definition and you’ll avoid the skinny fat look.
Mesomorphs can be quite athletic and respond quickly to exercise, which means they build muscles easily.
They can lose weight very fast, but can also gain weight quickly too. Usually, they are of average size.
If you are a mesomorph, overdoing workouts like squats and lunges can easily result in bulky legs. So, your goal here is to reduce body fat percentage and avoid exercises that will bulk up your legs in the process.
Endomorphs naturally have a strong build and larger frame. They can build muscle very quickly and it’s slightly harder for them to lose weight. But, it’s not impossible!
If you are an endomorph body type, your goal is to really focus on reducing overall body fat and to completely avoid any workouts that may cause you to bulk up.
Source: Read Full Article