THOUSANDS of households can get up to £350 free cash within hours- and here's how to apply.

Hard-up families can claim the money via the government's Household Support Fund (HSF).

The cash is dished out from a pot of £842million in help by the Department of Work and Pensions.

Each council is allocated a portion of the money to distribute to cash-strapped families who make less than £50,000.

Grants you can claim depend on your location so you'll have to check how much you can get and how your council will pay you.

Some local authorities are making bank transfers while others are offering help in the way of food or utility bill vouchers.

The fund was due to end in March this year but was extended until April 2024 – meaning households can get more support.

Low-income earners can get up to £350 free if they live in Tandridge, in east Surrey.

Those in single households will get £150 while those with children will receive £350.

Applications for the scheme will be open from 10am on December 11.

Most read in Money


Major department store to close all 34 locations for two days over Christmas


Supermarket slashes price of Roses tubs to just £2 – & it’s the cheapest around


We’re homeless after spending £500k to get our neighbour to move his BINS


I tried flavoured panettones- the winner is the ‘perfect pick-me-up’

According to the council's website, applicants will be notified once a decision has been made on your application.

If your application is approved, you will receive a payment by bank transfer to your nominated bank account 10 working days after the date your claim.

However, there could be delays to processing your payment though.

This is due to the Council Offices being closed on December 22 and over the Christmas and new year bank holidays.

The council said it will accept applications from, or on behalf of, people who are in financial difficulties, they must:

  • Be over the age of 16
  • Live in the Tandridge district
  • Be in financial difficulty and struggling to meet the cost of essential items like food, fuel or energy bills for themselves or their dependants (you will need to submit evidence online such as bank statements and arrears letters)

You can apply online via the council's website or give them a call on 01883 722000 during our office hours.

The council says it will try to support as many residents as it can but it aims to provide support to those who need help the most, including:

  • With dependent children
  • With disability or health problems
  • With at least one person who is receiving their state pension.
  • Lone parents
  • Who are, or are at risk of becoming, homeless including those living in temporary accommodation
  • Survivors of domestic abuse
  • Leaving care or hospital
  • Facing an emergency crisis such as, a recent fire or flood

However, it'll be a first come first serve basis as the scheme will close once all of the money has gone.

That means you'll need to be quick if you want to get the support.

What if I don't live in Tandridge?

If you don't live in Tandridge, ask your local council what it's offering through the Household Support Fund.

Those living in Dudley could get up to £275 to help towards the cost of living from next month.

Eligible households can get £195 free if they live in Bracknell Forest.

Thousands of residents in Nottinghamshire will be given £100 in free cash.

There is other help out there if you are not eligible for the funding.

For example, you could be entitled to a cost of living payment of up to £1,350.

This year and into 2024 the government is handing out payments to millions of people.

Individually the payments are worth £900, £300 and £150.

Some people may be eligible for all three which means a total of £1,350.

The £900 Cost of Living payment has been split into three instalments worth £301, £300 and £299.

The second instalment of £300 is being dished out from October 31.

Read more on The Sun


Sceptical Strictly fans accuse show of fix in favour of ‘BBC favourite’


Sue Radford's daughter Tillie shows off cooking skills as she makes dessert

A separate £300 pensioner CoL payment will follow from November, but an exact date is yet to be announced.

Plus the £150 Warm Home Discount is being applied from October 16.

Source: Read Full Article