MANCHESTER UNITED are not giving up on Jadon Sancho and have reportedly upped their bid to £100m for the England winger.
The Red Devils are also preparing for all eventualities and are therefore said to have opened talks with Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele over a potential loan.
Sign up to play Dream Team 2020/21 now
- It's completely free to play
- Play the tradtional Season game as well as Draft
- There's a hefty jackpot up for grabs across 2020/21
- SIGN UP TO PLAY HERE
Get all the latest news and transfer gossip here…
Man Utd lead Brighton 1-0 thanks to a strike from Scott McTominay.
The midfielder headed home moments before half-time following a sumptuous free-kick from Juan Mata.
But can the Red Devils hold on for the win and progress to the Carabao quarters?
FOLLOW THE ACTION WITH OUR LIVE MATCH BLOG
We are ten minutes from the break and the score so far is Brighton 0 Man Utd 0.
But it's the Seagulls who have been the dominant force in the game.
However, the best chance of the night has fallen to Odion Ighalo, who could only hit his shot into the side netting.
FOLLOW THE ACTION WITH OUR LIVE MATCH BLOG
Five minutes until we’re underway at the Amex.
All eyes are on Donny van de Beek as he gets his chance in the No10 role.
Jadon Sancho could even be watching after being axed from Borussia Dortmund’s squad for tonight’s German Supercup final against Bayern Munich…
FOLLOW THE ACTION WITH OUR LIVE MATCH BLOG
Just 45 minutes until kick-off and Man Utd’s team to face Brighton in the Carabao Cup is in.
Donny van de Beek finally gets a start after his £40million move from Ajax.
Dean Henderson, Dan James and Odion Ighalo also feature in a heavily-changed XI from the Premier League win over the Seagulls.
FOLLOW THE ACTION WITH OUR LIVE MATCH BLOG
RIGHT SAID FEDERICO
Man Utd have reportedly failed in a loan swoop for Federico Chiesa.
The Telegraph claims Fiorentina are open to selling their star forward before deadline day.
But they had no interest in listening to United’s loan proposal, with Chiesa emerging as a possible alternative for Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho.
Douglas Costa has reportedly snubbed a move to Wolves as he hopes to secure a move to a bigger club such as Manchester United.
Corriere dello Sport claims the winger has turned down the chance to leave Juventus for Wolves as he wants Champions League football.
Costa believes there is a chance he could be heading to Old Trafford as United struggle with negotiations for Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho.
EXCLUSIVE BY PAUL SIMS
Jadon Sancho believes he WILL be a Manchester United player before the transfer window closes on Monday.
The England winger, 20, wants his top advisors to “pull out all the stops” to secure his move to Old Trafford from Borussia Dortmund.
Sources say Dortmund are resigned to losing the player, despite publicly being confident he will stick around.
One said: “He wants this deal done. He's told his agent and various advisors to do all they can to make it happen. They are pushing for him.”
Dortmund are said to want a minimum of £80million up front, plus add-ons.
Sources close to the long-running transfer saga reckon it could be completed for £95m, lower than Dortmund's £108m asking price.
Gareth Bale has been ruled out of Tottenham’s clash with Manchester United this Sunday with a minor knee injury.
The Welshman will also miss his country’s battle against England next week.
Ex-Red Devils boss Jose Mourinho confirmed: “Bale cannot play tomorrow or on the weekend… that I can confirm.
“He's working hard, very committed, very professional, very happy, but not yet for tomorrow or for the weekend.
“I believe that the two weeks of the international break can be important weeks to his last phase of recovery and fitness problems.
“Hopefully [he can] play when we're back the weekend after the national teams.”
NO-GO ON SANCHO
Man United and Dortmund remain deadlocked over Jadon Sancho.
There were some rumours today that Sancho missing training was a signal he was trying to force his way out, but Dortmund have dismissed that.
Journalist Fabrizio Romano insists they will not back down on their asking price, with United's offers yet to reach the German club's desired £109million.
Manchester United take a second trip to Brighton tonight – only days after being involved in that ridiculous game on Saturday.
The Carabao Cup game will likely see different teams take the field for side.
This is what we're predicting for United.
'GET THE DEAL DONE'
Steve McClaren has implored Man United to get going in the transfer market and sign three players.
The former assistant boss at Old Trafford told Sky Sports News: “They need a centre forward; they need a centre back and they need a left-back. Those are the priorities. But players like Sancho don't come around very often.
“He's a unique type of player to go into Manchester United. They've been searching all across the world.
“They're only £20m short, come on, get the deal done! It's for the future.
“United have done well so far with their scouting and who they have brought in. If they're still going for Sancho, then I think Dembele is for the short-term. A stopgap.
“But they need a centre forward, and they need a centre back. If they want to play with intensity and a high line, they need speed at the back.”
STICKING YOU BEEK IN
Donny van de Beek's advisor has blasted Manchester United for their limited use of the Dutchman so far and said they should have lost 7-1 at Brighton.
The midfielder was limited to a few minutes off the bench at the Amex as United clawed an unlikely win with a late penalty.
But his agent, Sjaak Swart, was left unimpressed.
He told Dutch outlet VoetbalPrimeur: “A substitute; I don't like it at all. I couldn't do it, coming on with four minutes left. You'd have to leave me on the bench.
“But I have to say, he still did three good things. And the penalty, where the winning goal came from, came from him. He did well in those couple of minutes.”
“But normally they should have lost 7-1. Brighton hit the post and the bar five times. They (Brighton) have a nice team, but that shouldn't happen to Manchester United.”
THE BOSS SPEAKS
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been sharing his thoughts ahead of tonight's game against Brighton.
MOVEMENT ON DEMBELE
BREAKING: Man United are now in active discussions with Barcelona over Ousmane Dembele, according to reports.
Sky Sports say they have made contact and are pursuing a deal, preferably a loan move.
This follows weeks of speculation as United try to bolster their attacking options with only days left in the window.
They have also been linked with – and continue to be linked with – Jadon Sancho, Luka Jovic and Edison Cavani.
CAVANI VS JOVIC
The rumour mill in recent days have linked Manchester United to both Edison Cavani and Luka Jovic.
It's looking unlikely they'll bring in both, so we crunched the numbers and had a look at who would be better value for money.
A reporter has poked fun at the endless list of players who have been linked with Manchester United by insisting they aren't in for football legend Pele – now 79.
The Red Devils have been rumoured to be interested in every man and his dog this transfer window but we can definitely rule out the retired Brazilian.
AIN NOTHING TO IT
The rumours linking Manchester United with a shock move for Arsenal's Ainsley Maitland-Niles are baseless, one journalist has claimed.
Surprising reports over the last day have said the Gunners youngster was being eyed by the Red Devils but a Manchester Evening News reporter has dismissed it.
NEVILE NOT HAPPY
Gary Neville has blasted Manchester United's transfer strategy in a testy early morning tweet.
The pundit is not happy at the lack of signings in the “easiest” window in “Premier League history.”
JOVIC THE FRONTRUNNER
Luka Jovic is the preferred candidate over Edison Cavani as Manchester United scramble to get an attacking player in before the window closes, reports say.
The 22-year-old Serbian is viewed by the club's hierarchy as the better option as he is younger and cheaper, and they could plump for a loan move for the Real Madrid man.
Jovic is also being tracked by Roma, Inter and AC Milan, according to AS.com, putting pressure on United to make up their mind and act quickly.
The Red Devils have also been linked to Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele and will be desperate to get at least one of these deals over the line.
IT'S A CENTURY
Manchester United have made an improved offer for Jadon Sancho, according to reports.
The Red Devils were knocked back by Dortmund in a deal worth up to £90m but are now said to have lodged a bid that will see the German side potentially earn nine figures for the winger.
Tancredi Palmeri claims United have offered £82m up front, rising to a potential £100m with add-ons.
However, this still remains short of Dortmund's asking price of £108m in one payment.
MORNING, RED DEVILS!
Manchester United have made no 'new' or 'formal' bid for Jadon Sancho.
SunSport's NEIL CUSTIS reports the situation remains that the Red Devils are offering £70million, rising to £100m.
But Borussia Dortmund want a larger chunk of the fee to be paid up front.
Sky Sports had reported a bid of £91.3m was rejected.
The 20-year-old did not travel with Dortmund to Munich for their German Super Cup game.
Sancho is suffering with a ‘respiratory infection’ but did NOT test positive for Covid-19.
AS reports United are in talks with Edinson Cavani’s brother – also his agent – over a free transfer.
And they could turn to Real Madrid flop Luka Jovic if unsuccessful.
Spanish source RouteOneFootball claims Man Utd went all out for Ansu Fati and attempted to trigger his £154m clause, which would have obliged Barcelona to accept the offer.
But Old Trafford chiefs apparently did not realise the Catalan club had already upped the price to £363m, ending their hopes of an audacious signing.
Manchester United are closing in on a shock move for Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele for a bargain £47million, according to AS.
But NEIL CUSTIS understands no formal offer has been made for the 23-year-old.
Manchester United are closing in on a shock move for Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele for a bargain £47million, according to reports.
The Catalan side are prepared to take a huge hit on the Frenchman having paid Borussia Dortmund £108m for his signature three years ago.
Dembele, 23, has shown glimpses of his terrific potential during his time in Spain but has failed to perform consistently.
A string of injuries and behavioural issues, including failing to show up for training, have contributed to his fall in a Barca shirt.
AS report that United are ready to help reignite his career with the player keen to make the move.
They add that Barca are open to cashing in because they want to use the cash to help land Memphis Depay.
Although it is understood that no official bid has been made, Barca would accept around £47m should an offer be lodged.
Donny van de Beek's agent has hit out after Manchester United benched their new midfielder for the first two Premier League matches – and says Brighton should have beaten them 7-1.
Sjaak Swart believes the £39million star's 90th-minute arrival made the difference as United stole a 3-2 victory at the Amex Stadium with a penalty awarded via VAR AFTER the final whistle.
The 82-year-old told Voetbal Primeur: “A substitute, I don’t like it at all.
“I couldn’t do it myself, substituting in with four minutes left to play. Then you’d better let me sit down.
“I have to say he did three more good things. The penalty, where the winning goal came from, came from him.
“But normally they should have lost 1-7. Five times post and bar, Brighton… They have a nice team, but that shouldn’t happen to Manchester United.”
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says he is struggling to get used to the crazy new world of football in the Premier League, writes NEIL CUSTIS.
No fans in the ground, unequal preparation times due to last season's very late finish for his side and now the handball rule that has everyone’s head spinning.
Solskajer said: “I think football has changed. There are no fans, it’s a different game. Pre-season we were at different stages, the new handball rule… you never know what’s going to happen.
“You can discuss it all day long but we need some clarity on what’s a foul and what’s a penalty because now it looks like you can chip the ball up into someone’s hand like what happened to us against Palace for example and Victor got a penalty against him.
“And then the header against Tottenham, he’s got no idea the ball hits him.
“You see the goals scored against West Brom at the end, is that not handball? We need to get that clarity. It’s a whole spectre of things that aren’t normal.
“There have been so many changes and nuances to different rules. Back in the old day it seemed simpler.”
OUS COMING IN?
Manchester United have NOT made a bid for Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele.
SunSport's NEIL CUSTIS reports, contrary to other reports, the Red Devils have not made a formal offer.
Source: Read Full Article