NFL star’s lawyer wants all of QB’s accusers identified
Nike takes action as ‘disturbing’ allegations mount against Deshaun Watson
First Deshaun Watson accuser comes forward: ‘Not afraid anymore’
Deshaun Watson under investigation by police
Most of the women accusing Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson of sexual assault and inappropriate conduct have to reveal their identities, two judges have ruled.
That news, covering 13 of the 22 lawsuits filed against the star quarterback, came on Friday as only two of the women have been previously identified.
During a hearing at the 113th District Court, the accusers’ attorney, Tony Buzbee, and Watson’s lawyer, Rusty Hardin, agreed that nine of the 12 women would reveal themselves by Wednesday. Judge Raveea Sultan Collier granted a request by Hardin that the other three women release their names as well.
Hardin argued that Buzbee was trying to “kill the reputation of our client” by the use of the accusers’ anonymity in the first first hearing of the day, which was held at the 270th District Court.
Buzbee countered by saying that anonymity is common in these types of cases. He used one of the accusers, Ashley Solis, as an example. After coming forward, Solis received death threats.
Buzbee said that he was OK with Hardin and his team being made aware of a woman’s identity, but not making it public. Judge Dedra David didn’t agree.
“We need a balance of interests. A balance of interests is required for both parties,” Davis said.
NFL spokesperson Brian McCarthy told ESPN the allegations against Watson were “deeply disturbing,” and that the league is looking into the matter. Watson has denied any wrongdoing.
Share this article:
Source: Read Full Article