Leicester 2 Watford 0: Vardy scores for seventh match in row as Foxes leapfrog Man City into second before Maddison goal – The Sun

YOU just cannot keep Jamie Vardy down.

Denied what seemed a clear first-half penalty and booked for diving as well – with another oddball VAR decision thrown into the mix on top of that – it looked like it was not Leicester’s night.

Surely Vardy’s scintillating scoring run had not come to end?

Not a bit of it.

When Jonny Evans was caught in the face by Adam Masina after the break, Vardy stepped up to in his SEVENTH successive game.

And now Foxes fans are wondering whether he can match his record-breaking feat of 2015 when he netted in 11 matches in a row.

He is still on course for that and – as we all know – it was one of the memorable chapters in Leicester’s title success.


But the record books are constantly having to change to accommodate the Premier League’s top goalscorer who grabbed his 14th goal of the season.

Vardy has now scored 50 Premier League goals at home for Leicester – the first player to reach this total for the the club – and they have come in only 96 appearances at the King Power Stadium.

And while we are about it, the Foxes equalled another landmark. This was their seventh consecutive victory – something they have not done in the top flight for 56 years!

Watford put up some resistance for caretaker boss Hayden Mullins, but there was no stopping Brendan Rodgers’ side moving back into second place.

It was by no means a classic Leicester performance as they struggled to get into the game in the first half.

But with Rodgers urging fans not to leave their seats before the final whistle at home games, supporters might want to strap themselves in for a second half of the season which promises to be one heck of a ride.

Leicester made a rare change to their starting line up with 2016 title veteran Christian Fuchs coming in for Ben Chilwell who was missing completely through a slight knock.

There was also a significant change for Watford with Troy Deeney making his first since August in place of the injured Jose Holebas.


But it was the Foxes who looked set to stamp their authority on the game early on – but two bad misses in front of goal from Ayoze Perez took the early sting out of Leicester’s quick fire start.

Vardy used his pace and put the ball on a plate for Perez who seemed certain to score but blazed over.

Then Perez sliced wide in front of goal and found Vardy who was offside.

It was not the best of starts for the Foxes forward who was subbed at half-time.

Leicester were bright in patches with James Maddison and Harvey Barnes always capable of making something happen.

Nine minutes before the break, an excellent solo run from Barnes took him into the area but he could not find a way past Ben Foster.


But Leicester were denied a penalty in controversial circumstances before the break.

Adrian Mariappa appeared to bring Vardy down in the area but ref Craig Pawson said the Leicester star had dived.

However, the decision went to VAR and replays appeared to show Vardy had been fouled.

But the the decision stood – and where the technology had saved Leicester on Sunday when they beat Everton in the closing minutes, it took their chance of an opening goal away on this occasion.

Nothing was going Watford’s way at the other end though and Will Hughes’ shot hit his own player Deeney and deflected for a corner.

But Rodgers’ side did finally earn a penalty seven minutes after the break.

Masina rose to clear a Maddison ball but caught Evans who went down under the challenge and Pawson pointed to the spot.

Another VAR check kept Vardy waiting but there was no denying him as he confidently converted the spot-kick.

Masina then denied Leicester another goal with a superb clearance after Vardy had lifted the ball over Foster.

But Maddison sealed the result in stoppage time with the last action of the game when he burst through and forced the ball past Hornets keeper Ben Foster.

Source: Read Full Article