CRISTIANO RONALDO stropped at his Portugal boss after Serbia's late winner – and the Manchester United ace was moaning about his OWN disallowed goal.
Portugal suffered late heartbreak on Sunday night.
They needed just a draw at home to Serbia to guarantee their place at the 2022 World Cup.
But Aleksandar Mitrovic headed in at the back post in the 90th minute to secure a 2-1 win.
After the full-time whistle, Portugal manager Fernando Santos headed on to the pitch to console his troops.
But as he approached his captain Ronaldo, the 36-year-old stood still and waved his arms passionately, clearly letting his frustration out.
Some thought the gesture was aimed at Santos, but the gaffer confirmed Ronaldo was complaining about his late winner in the reverse leg in March being ruled out despite the ball appearing to cross the line.
After that incident, he threw his captain's armband down in disgust as he stormed off in Belgrade.
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS
But Santos told reporters what happened in Lisbon.
He said: "Nobody was explaining anything.
"He was telling the other guy that there [in Serbia] he had scored a goal at the last minute and that the referee didn't count.
"That's what he was saying at the time. It wasn't a matter for us to be there now.
"On the field, he said that we scored a goal there and the referee didn't, but it's his outburst. It's perfectly normal.
"Now no one goes after a game to explain what happened or didn't happen. I went to raise the players' heads."
Mitrovic's winner after Renato Sanches and Dusan Tadic shared first-half strikes meant Serbia topped Group A of European qualifying.
My team will be at the Qatar World Cup, that is guaranteed
Serbia will be in Qatar next November but Portugal must now go into the play-offs to try and book their spot.
Ronaldo, who will be 37 by the time the tournament starts next year, previously said he expects Qatar to be his final appearance at the competition – even though he wants to continue playing into his 40s.
And he was in tears in at the Estadio da Luz on Sunday as his chances of appearing in a fifth World Cup took a major hit.
But Santos 'guaranteed' Ronaldo and the Portuguese public they will be there.
He added: "The truth is that we did not have a good performance overall.
"Therefore, we have to say sorry. The Portuguese people are obviously sad. Not more than us, but just like us.
"But my team will be at the Qatar World Cup. That is guaranteed. We just have to compete in the play-offs which is not common for us.
"Portugal never went through a play-off with me, but they played it on three occasions and qualified for the finals in all of them.
"We will do it again. And I personally took part in a play-off, too. And I also qualified for the World Cup."
⚽ Read our Football news live blog for the very latest rumours, gossip and done deals
Source: Read Full Article