Loose Women cancelled by ITV after Prince Philip’s death at 99

LOOSE Women has been cancelled by ITV today following the news Prince Philip has died.

The daytime show was scheduled to start at 12.30pm, but has made way for rolling news coverage to pay respect to the Duke of Edinburgh.

Loose Women fans were understanding about the change in schedule, as the show's Twitter feed retweeted the shock royal announcement.

ITV news normally follows Loose Women at 1.30pm every weekday, but started 90 minutes early today.

At midday, This Morning was taken off air abruptly – but viewers were not given an explanation.

During an interview with Coronation Street's Alan Halsall, Eamonn Holmes cut in to say: "Sorry I have to interrupt you for some very, very important news because we now, viewers, have to end This Morning and go straight to the ITV newsroom for more."

ITV newsreader Lucrezia Millarini then came on screen to announce the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.

She said: "Good afternoon we are breaking into programmes to bring you an announcement from the Royal Household.


"In the last few moments we have received the following significant statement."

She then read the Queen's statement about her 99-year-old husband.

The statement from Buckingham Palace said: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

"His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.

"Further announcements will made in due course.

"The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss."

Lucrezia then told viewers: "Let's take a moment to reflect on that news."

The royal passed away two months and one day short of what would have been his 100th birthday.

The Duke of Edinburgh had been married to the Queen for 73 years.

His death comes just weeks after he was taken to London’s King Edward VII Hospital on February 16 after feeling unwell.

Two weeks later, he was transferred to St Bart’s Hospital for treatment for an infection and heart condition.

Buckingham Palace then announced on Tuesday, March 16 he had been released from hospital and was in "good spirits" and "comfortable".

Philip had dedicated his life to the Queen and tragically died just before his 100th birthday in June this year.

And his death comes after a turmoil-filled 12 months for the royals after Meghan Markle and Prince Harry quit the royal family. 

Prince Philip has been one of the hardest working royals – since 1952 he attended 22,219 solo engagements and 637 overseas tours in a career marked by his famous gaffes, wit and wisdom.

Source: Read Full Article