James Bulger’s family insist his killer Jon Venables is a ‘danger’ to the public and must remain ‘locked up’ in letter to officials ahead of parole board hearing

  • Venables, and Thompson, now 41, were both aged 10 when they killed  James
  • Venables’ release will be ‘during the week commencing the 11th December’

The family of murdered two-year-old toddler James Bulger have reportedly written to the parole board officers over the release of one of his killer.

After being told that they could not attend the private parole hearing, Bulger’s family wrote to the parole hearing that Jon Venables was a ‘danger’ to the public and needs to be kept ‘locked up’, according to The Sun.

Last month, a spokesman for the Parole Board previously confirmed that the decision regarding Venables’ release will be ‘sometime during the week commencing the 11th December.’

It had been expected on November 28.

A family source told The Sun: ‘The family has written to the decision makers, saying they believe Venables is a danger to the public and to children, and that he needs to be kept locked up.’

Venables, and Robert Thompson, now 41, were both aged 10 when they kidnapped, tortured and killed two-year-old James Bulger (pictured) before leaving his mutilated body by a railway line in Liverpool 30 years ago

Venables will be told if he has won parole in the ‘week commencing the 11th December’ and could still be free before Christmas

The toddler (pictured) was snatched from a shopping centre in Bootle, Merseyside, on February 12, 1993

EXCLUSIVE James Bulger killer’s new life: How Jon Venables will face ‘strictest ever’ release conditions if he wins parole, including a new identity, no internet on his own, spot lie detectors and ban on going near victim’s relatives 

 

The source went onto say that it should be ‘a cut and dry case’ and that were was no need for extra time to debate if ‘monster’ Venables should be released.

Venables’ parole bid has already sparked controversy after it emerged that he skipped giving evidence during the two-day hearing to prevent ‘disproportionate emotional stress.’

Venables, and Robert Thompson, now 41, were both aged 10 when they kidnapped, tortured and killed two-year-old James before leaving his mutilated body by a railway line in Liverpool 30 years ago.

The child killers were convicted of murder in November 1993 and detained indefinitely.

The pair were released aged 18 in 2001 after just eight years. Thompson has not reoffended.

Following his released in 2001, Venables was recalled to prison twice, in 2010 and 2017, having been found to be in possession of indecent images of children.

Venables was turned down for parole in 2020 after serving his minimum 40 months.

After his 2001 release he was given a new name – which may happen if he is freed again.

Previous conditions placed on Venables included informing his parole officer if he ever got a job and getting their permission before leaving the UK.

He had to regularly see a forensic psychologist and was banned from contacting Robert Thompson or any member of James Bulger’s family.

He also had to ask his parole officer for permission to leave Merseyside, stay overnight in the same house as a child under 16 or spend time with anyone under 12.

An exclusive report from MailOnline this week found that Venables is likely to be subject to the strictest ever release conditions if he wins parole, including lie detector tests and tight restrictions on his movements and use of the internet.

A criminal lawyer told MailOnline the conditions would include ‘very heavy monitoring and restriction to his movements’.

This could involve curfew times, restrictions on international travel and access to the internet and the requirement to live in a ‘pre-ordained place’.

Source: Read Full Article