EXCLUSIVE: Parents of girl, 15, who died from allergic reaction on plane demand airlines stop passengers eating peanuts after 14-year-old with nut allergy passes out
- Natasha Ednan-Laperouse died in 2016 after suffering an anaphylactic shock
- She had bought a sandwich in Pret before boarding a flight at Heathrow
- Yesterday, Joanna Jones, 39, feared for her daughter’s life on a flight to Gatwick
- A passenger carried on eating nuts despite Poppy’s life-threatening allergy
The family of a teenage girl who died after suffering an allergic reaction on a plane today demanded airlines clamp down on passengers eating peanuts – after another girl passed out at 30,000ft over her nut allergy.
Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, died in 2016 after suffering an anaphylactic shock to sesame seeds in a Pret a Manger baguette she had bought at Heathrow before catching a flight to Nice.
Yesterday MailOnline revealed how terrified mum Joanna Jones, 39, thought her daughter Poppy, 14, would die after she suffered a life-threatening reaction after a passenger carried on eating nuts despite being asked not to.
Poppy Jones, pictured, suffered a near-fatal reaction on board a flight from Antigua to Gatwick when a fellow passenger began eating a peanut, ignoring warnings that a fellow passenger had a major allergy
Poppy, left, pictured with her mother Joanna, right, needed two shots from an Epipen as well as oxygen from an onboard first aid kit.
Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, pictured with her father Nadim, right, died six years ago aged 15 when she suffered a fatal reaction after eating a meal from Pret which contained sesame seeds
They were on an eight-hour British Airways flight from Antigua to Gatwick and Poppy needed two shots from an Epipen to bring her round as well as oxygen from an onboard first aid kit.
Natasha’s parents urged British Airways and other airlines to clamp down on nuts on planes to avoid other potential tragedies involving passengers with allergies.
Tanya and Nadim – who last October launched Natasha’s Law which ensures allergy advice is given on all foods – said: ’We are shocked to hear yet another story of someone living with life threatening food allergies whose condition is ignored and not taken seriously.
‘Joanna and her 14 year old daughter Poppy were on a recent BA flight and passengers were asked not to eat peanuts due to the severity of Poppy’s food allergies. Yet one selfish passenger decided to ignore the crew’s request and ate a bag of peanuts putting Poppy’s life in danger.
‘She became unconscious, required oxygen and two EpiPen shots. Luckily she was helped by an on-board nurse and after being rushed to hospital when the plane landed, Poppy survived. Planes can be coffins for people with severe allergies – as we know all too well. And there are far too many stories where passengers lives are being put in very real danger on flights.
‘Simply put, if British Airways and other airlines cannot enforce a ban on people eating nuts on planes, then the law needs to change.’
Following their daughter’s death, Tanya and Nadim set up the Natasha Allergy Research Foundation with an aim ‘to make allergy history’.
On their website they add their vision is to ‘prevent and eradicate allergic disease. Starting with food allergy, creating a world that is safe for all individuals.’
They go onto say:’ We will do everything in our power to give a voice to the rising tide of younger and older people living with allergic disease; for everyone living with allergy to be understood and taken seriously by all of society and to campaign for change where change is needed.
‘To do so now is more vital than ever before.’
Natasha’s family have been promoting ‘Natasha’s law’ since her death to improve the amount of labelling on food to prevent similar incidents in future
This image was taken on July 17, 2016, hours before Natasha became ill on the flight and collapsed
Today Joanna, from Tooting, south London said: ‘I’m grateful for their support and if we can avoid anything similar happening to someone’s child then all the better. I just think the airlines should do more.
‘I know the cabin crew tried their best but I still think more could have been done – they didn’t even take the nuts off the passenger until just before we landed.
‘I have been in contact with British Airways and they say they will look into what happened but what we really need is a change in the law to make sure if people eat nuts on a flight when they shouldn’t they are punished.’
Poppy was only saved thanks to Joanna’s quick reactions and with the help of a nurse who was onboard who helped stabilise Poppy after she suffered her attack over the Atlantic at 30,000ft.
The man was sat ten rows in front and the nut particles which triggered her attack are thought to have been spread by the plane’s air conditioning.
According to a study by the Allergy and Immunology Section of the Louisiana State University Health Science Centre in Shreveport, anaphylactic shock can be triggered by inhalation of nut particles.
The report said: ‘Though not widely recognised, food hypersensitivity by inhalation can cause major morbidity in individuals. The exposure can be trivial, as in mere smelling or being in the vicinity of the food.
Natasha’s family welcomed the new law which was brought out in her name
‘The clinical manifestations can vary from a benign respiratory or cutaneous reaction to a systematic one that can be life-threatening.’
Tellingly it added: ‘ Food allergy, by the non-ingestion route is probably under recognised and under reported.’
Carer Joanna told MailOnline:’It was a nightmare for all of us and I really thought she might die. It was really, really frightening and it was all down to a passenger who carried on eating nuts despite at least two announcements not to.’
British Airways said: ‘The safety and welfare of our customers is always our priority, and we take the issue of allergens very seriously. Our crew cared for a customer who appeared to suffer an allergic reaction on board, and they arranged for paramedics to meet the aircraft.’
Source: Read Full Article