Death toll rises to 100 as search for bodies in rubble begins

The Lebanese Red Cross today said the explosion that tore through the Lebanese capital has killed at least 100 people and injured thousands of others.

People living in Beirut are waking to a scene of utter devastation today following the blast at a port that sent shockwaves across the city.

Today, the search for more victims in the rubble begins – with the death toll expected to rise still, the head of the Lebanese Red Cross told local broadcasters on Wednesday.

George Kettaneh told LBCI TV by telephone that the Red Cross was coordinating with the health ministry for morgues to take victims because hospitals were overwhelmed.

Smoke is still rising from the port, where a towering grain silos has been shattered.

Pictures showed major downtown streets littered with debris and damaged vehicles, and building facades completely blown out. At hospitals across the city people had been waiting all night for news of loved ones who had gone missing or were wounded. Others posted requests for help online.

This is a breaking story we will be updating.

Source: Read Full Article