‘Meghan was never mobbed… so they’ve made the scenes up’: Furious ex-palace staff slam Netflix for using Katie Price footage in trailer – as Sussex allies insist stock clips ‘tell a story’ and ‘are not meant to be literal’
- Couple accused courtiers of leaking stories about them that backed ‘hierarchy’
- Trailers had videos of them being ‘hassled’ which depicted other things entirely
- But ally of the Sussexes said today using stock footage was ‘standard practice’
A former royal employee has slammed Netflix for ‘making up’ scenes of the Sussexes being hounded by the media in trailers for their documentary – but allies of the couple have insisted the clips ‘tell a story’ and ‘aren’t meant to be literal’.
In teasers for Harry & Meghan, Prince Harry, 38, claims he and Meghan had suffered from leaks and planted stories that backed up the Royal Family ‘hierarchy’, as a tearful duchess says: ‘I realised they’re never going to protect you.’
The trailers included several clips meant to show the Sussexes being hassled by photographers but actually depicted different events entirely, including a Harry Potter premiere and Katie Price arriving at court in Crawley.
Pointing to the footage, a former member of staff told The Times: ‘She never confronted scenes where she was mobbed because we did so much to protect her… so they’ve had to make them up.’
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry at the Ripple of Hope Awards in New York last night, where they received a ‘human rights’ award
The trailers included several clips that were meant to show the Sussexes being hassled by photographers but actually depicted different events entirely, including Katie Price arriving at court in Crawley
But a source close to the Sussexes insisted the use of stock footage was ‘standard practice’, telling The Daily Telegraph: ‘You use stock images to tell a story. It’s not meant to be literal in a trailer.’
The source added that the Sussexes did not have editorial control over the trailers.
Harry said in the second trailer: ‘No one knows the full truth. We know the full truth.’
But a former employee said today: ‘They always use vague terms ”the truth”, ”my truth”, but nothing concrete is said.’
Instead, Meghan, 41, uses allies such as the journalist Omid Scobie, who was briefed by royal officials on the duchess’s orders while writing his book Finding Freedom – to put forward her allegations that the royal household was racist, the source believes.
The ex-staffer, who claims to have been bullied by Meghan, also called for the palace to take a stand and release courtiers from their confidentiality agreements so they can speak publicly and ‘reject their lies’.
The first three episodes of the duke and duchess’ ‘docuseries’ will cover their love story and allegations that members of the royal household briefed against them to the media, it was reported.
This image, which was used in the trailer, showed photographers outside a Harry Potter premiere
In this image, a scrum of photographers surround Michael Cohen, Trump’s former lawyer, as he heads to prison in New York
Volume one of the series, which comes out tomorrow, will also detail the Sussexes’ difficult relationship with the media, the suggestion they were not supported by the Palace and claims the duchess was a victim of racism.
A second tranche of three episodes released the following Thursday will then cover their decision to quit as senior royals and their new life in California, according to The Times.
Royal sources have insisted it was ‘absolutely wrong’ to suggest the couple had been briefed against, and insisted ‘unprecedented steps’ had been taken to support them.
One insider told the Telegraph that royal staff were instead ‘bending over backwards to work with them’.
They added it was ‘non-stop on their behalf’ when it came to defending them against negative stories – which began when rumours emerged of the couple’s behaviour towards staff.
In the teasers for Harry & Meghan, a tearful duchess says, ‘I realised they’re never going to protect you’
Prince Harry, 38, claims he and Meghan had suffered from leaks and planted stories that backed up the Royal Family ‘hierarchy’. Pictured: Buckingham Palace
The couple – who profess themselves to be eco-warriors – arrived at the event in a convoy of three SUVs, accompanied by five security guards who helped them out of their vehicle, after arriving by private jet
RFK’s daughter Kerry Kennedy revealed last month that she had chosen to honour Harry and Meghan for taking a ‘heroic’ stance against ‘structural racism’
Another said the narrative comparing Meghan to Kate was ‘fabricated’ with no difference between how they were treated by the press.
It is unclear whether the series will touch on allegations that the Duchess bullied staff.
The claims were investigated in a report, which Buckingham Palace refused to publish, and Meghan has denied the allegations.
The palace said that it will not respond to any claims made in the series trailers, and is concentrating on the Royal Family’s scheduled engagements this week.
It did not respond to the request to lift non-disclosure agreements made with staff or former employees.
Last night, Harry and Meghan accepted an ‘anti-racism’ award at the Ripple of Hope Gala in New York City.
The couple attended the gala — an event for which tickets were being sold for up to $1million each — to accept an award from the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Foundation, a prize that counts Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton among former recipients.
While Meghan and Harry made an appearance in New York, the Royal Family – including the Prince and Princess of Wales – threatened to ‘out-glitz’ them at a Buckingham Palace reception, which took place just hours earlier
The Princess of Wales wore a red lace dress by Jenny Packham with the Lotus Flower tiara she has worn on occasions before
King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla arriving at the palace for the reception this evening
RFK’s daughter Kerry Kennedy revealed last month she had chosen to honour Harry and Meghan for taking a ‘heroic’ stance against ‘structural racism’ in the Royal Family – comments that likely only served to drive an even bigger wedge between the Sussexes and the monarchy.
While the monarchy has no doubt been rocked by the release of the couple’s second Netflix trailer, senior royals proved on Tuesday evening that the show will go on — even in the face of the Sussexes’ incoming attacks — when they put on a glitzy display at their own event.
King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla were joined by the Prince and Princess of Wales at Buckingham Palace for the annual white tie diplomatic corps reception.
Camilla, 75, looked stunning in an Anna Valentine gown with the Queen’s much loved sapphire and diamond tiara with its matching necklace.
The Prince and Princess of Wales looked loved up as ever in behind-the-scenes Instagram snaps at this year’s Earthshot Prize Awards ceremony in Boston
The image emerged days after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle shared a number of ultra-personal unseen images in the first trailer for their Netflix documentary
Meanwhile the Princess of Wales wore a red lace dress by Jenny Packham with the Lotus Flower tiara she has on occasions worn before.
She had her GCVO and Royal Family orders pinned to her dress and sported a pair of Queen Elizabeth’s diamond earrings.
Tuesday night’s event came after the Prince and Princess of Wales looked loved up in behind-the-scenes Instagram snaps taken at this year’s Earthshot Prize awards ceremony in Boston.
The royal couple, both 40, appeared to channel Prince Harry and Meghan Markle — who recently shared intimate photos in the explosive trailer ahead of their documentary later this week — in theatrical black and white shots.
Sharing the carousel to their royal Instagram account, the couple (pictured) wrote: ‘Celebrating brilliant solutions and the inspiring people behind them!’
Another intimate shot showed Kate proudly clapping for her husband as he spoke at the podium
Source: Read Full Article