The President of Iran on Wednesday said the country will scale back their commitment to the 2015 Iran-nuclear deal, a year to the day the US unilaterally withdrew from the agreement.
In letters to other countries in the pact, including Britain, China, the European Union, France and Germany, President Hassan Rouhani said the country would keep excess enriched uranium, instead of selling it as outlined in the agreement.
“Iran exercised restraint over the past year, but the other parties to the deal failed to adhere to their commitments so that Iran had no other way but to reduce its commitments under the deal,” the letters were expected to say, according to state media in the country.
The move comes after the US imposed economic sanctions of the country and also withdrew from the nuclear agreement.
Earlier this week, the US deployed an aircraft carrier strike group and a bomber task force to the Middle East after it received intelligence Iran had put short-range ballistic missiles near the Persian Gulf.
On Tuesday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made an unannounced visit to Iraq, showing support for the country’s government in the face of escalating tensions between the US and Iran.
Source: Read Full Article