Male model, 23, is spared jail for attacking his girlfriend

Male model, 23, is spared jail for attacking his girlfriend in Tube station after police were repeatedly called to their home during first Covid lockdown

  • Danny Hewitt assaulted Molly Galwin-Russell in underpass of Royal Oak station
  • Police earlier called to couple’s flat three times in April over harassment claims
  • Hewitt denied but was convicted of assault by beating in Westminster last month

A male model who attacked his girlfriend in a Tube station after police were repeatedly called to their home during the first Covid-19 lockdown has been spared jail.

Danny Hewitt, 23, assaulted Molly Galwin-Russell in the underpass at Royal Oak station in west London on May 3 last year.

Police had been called to the couple’s Kilburn flat three times in April over harassment claims and an allegation of criminal damage, Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard.

‘There is a history of domestic reports in this case between the complainant and the defendant, said Robert Simpson, prosecuting.

‘There were three call-outs from arguments in April 2020, including harassment and criminal damage to the mother’s property.

‘They’ve been intermittently staying together in isolation.’  

Danny Hewitt, 23, assaulted Molly Galwin-Russell in the underpass at Royal Oak station in west London on May 3 last year. Pictured: Hewitt 

Police were called to the station underpass by a railway worker, who was challenged by Hewitt and told not to get involved after he found Ms Galwin-Russell on the ground.

She was later found with a cut to her head and mentioned she had hurt her leg.

Ms Galwin-Russell refused to give evidence against Hewitt, but he was convicted of assault by beating last month.

Hewitt, who denied the charges, was sentenced to an 18-month community order, 250 hours of unpaid work and a 25 day rehabilitation activity requirement.

Police had been called to the couple’s Kilburn flat three times in April over harassment claims and an allegation of criminal damage, Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard. Pictured: Hewitt

He was also ordered to pay £775 court costs and a £95 victim surcharge.

Detective Constable Mahmudha Ali, from the Met’s Central West Command Unit, said: ‘This case highlights how third party reporting has ensured a violent domestic perpetrator can be convicted without evidence being given by the victim.

‘I would like to thank the two witnesses in this case for firstly calling the police and preventing further harm coming to the victim and secondly for providing evidence, as without it this case may never have made it to court and justice served.

‘I would urge anyone who may be at risk of becoming a victim, or has concerns about a colleague, friend or loved one – please call us we are here for you.’ 

Source: Read Full Article