Shocking moment thug soaks police in PETROL at end of high speed chase as he's jailed for three years

THIS footage shows the shocking moment a thug soaked eight police officers in petrol, leaving them fearing for their lives.

Justin Jackson, 28, was jailed yesterday for three years and nine months for the attack that left cops fearing they could go up "in flames like Roman candles".

The court heard the officers had tried to arrest a youth riding a stolen motorbike but bystanders had tried to block them arresting him in Basildon, Essex.

At this moment Jackson got a watering can full of petrol and sprayed the officers with it.

Joe Bird, prosecuting, said: "One described being unable to see, having his head in his hands on the floor, not knowing what was going to happen to him or how he was going to get out of the situation."

He said all of the officers described a feeling of fear, adding: "They realised it was petrol and they were involved in a very serious incident with a number of members of the public and they thought this could get quite considerably worse.

"They thought they could be set alight and left with significantly worse injuries, if not killed."


Temporary Superintendent Jonathan Baldwin, reading from his victim impact statement in court, said: "At the time of the incident while being covered with petrol I remember thinking 'we could all go up in flames here like Roman candles'."

He said he could not see if anyone was smoking in the vicinity, adding: "It was one of those days I realised I might not have got home at all."

He added: "This was in my view a calculated attack carried out without regard for the lives of police officers, their loved ones and others who were nearby at the time."

He said that some people came out from their homes carrying kitchen pans full of water and inviting officers to use their sinks and showers to help them.

"These particular memories have helped me keep a tight grip on the hope that what some people did that day is not representative of the wider community," said Mr Baldwin.


Alison Gurden, for Jackson, from Basildon, said that he had written a letter of apology and she read it aloud to the court.

In the letter, Jackson said: "I was just trying to defuse the situation."

He added: "I'm deeply sorry for what I've done and I can only imagine the fear they felt."

Sentencing him yesterday Judge Samantha Cohen said it must have been a "terrifying experience" for the police officers.

She said: "Initially some (of the officers) thought they were splashed with a disfiguring acid or bleach, but when they smelled it was petrol they feared they would be set alight."

Judge Cohen praised the officers involved as a "credit to their force".

Jackson's mother Janine Justin, 47, had denied possessing an offensive weapon in a public place but was found guilty at trial.

The court heard she had armed herself with a hammer and threatened police officers with it during the incident on May 5.

She was sentenced on Thursday to nine months in prison suspended for 18 months and ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid work.

Gwawr Thomas, for Justin, said the defendant had no previous convictions and the incident was "out of character".

Source: Read Full Article